Monday, January 31, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I wanted to wait a while until I posted my New Year's Resolution.  Most people have their list ready weeks before the drop of the ball, but by three weeks in they have already failed at half their list.  I believe there are two problems facing people and their failure with these goals. 


First, they make their goals too unrealistic, far reaching goals.  This almost sets them up for automatic failiure.  Yeah, it would be great to make double my income in the next year, but that just won't happen.  Second, people have very little self discipline.  Sure it's easy to create these list.  Just look at what you sucked and put that on the list.  The problem is that they do not create a system as to how they will achieve this.  Recently I asked a friend how they were going to lose weight this year.  They had no idea how to actually do that. 

That is why I like to break down these goals as far as I can go.  For instance, don't say I want to lose 20 pounds this year.  Say I want to lose two pounds a month.  I can accomplish this by working out one hour a day, three days a week.  Then you go even further in breaking it down.  Monday I do cardio, Wednesday I do chest and back, and Friday I do legs and arms.  Then on Saturday you can examine your diet for the week.  This is a rough system of how your goal can be achieved.


I have broken mine into detail and have great friends that are keeping me accountable.  That is probably the most important thing.  How easy is it to break your resolution when it's just you?  Too easy.  This is actually the reason why I am writing this on the last day of the month because of my goal to write twice a month.  So here I share my goals, feel free to check up on me any time through the year.  If you would like to share your resolutions with me I would be honored.


-Financial goals- pay of American Express card - $2914
                          pay of Capital One- $2984
                          Establish $1000 emergency fund


-Date night once a month with my wife


-Write/Blog at least two times a month


-Take wine classes


-Not worry so much about the messes my kids make


-Workout at least three days a week


-Read at least one book every two months


-Pray at least twice a day, besides at dinner and with kids


-Help develop men's group into a ministry


-Be more intenentional about marraiges within my small group


-Pray more for friends and family


-Give till it hurts...and then give more


-Visit family in Montana.


I look forward to conquering these goals.  I do not think I will change the world this year but if I can change myself and help change others for the better this year, I will consider that life well done.

2 comments:

  1. You have balls of steel for posting all of your personal goals up on the internet. Hot damn I love you Peter.

    ReplyDelete