Monday, December 6, 2010

The Meaning of Consumer-istmas

As we are in full swing to the Christmas season, I can't help but reflect into what Christmas has meant to me in the past and now in the present.  Years past Steph and I would run out to our nearest Press Enterprise vending machine on Thanksgiving day to find that years best Black Friday deals.  A good portion of our Thanksgiving day would be dedicated to going through every add, circling what we wanted to buy, compose a list, and draw out our war map as to how we were going to make it happen.  It was quite strategic with the goal of getting in and out as fast as possible, without missing anything on our list. 

The reasoning behind it was not only to save money, but so that we can buy (consume) more than we would if we bought it at regular sale prices.  We, or mostly I, thought I was being responsible with our money by joining the craziness that goes on at four in the morning.  I know I was never one of "those" people, getting in fights outside of Walmart, or pushing people over reaching for a DVD player.  However, looking back to what my heart was experiencing during that time, I'm certain God was looking down shaking his head.

The problem was that I was wrapped up in the addiction of consumerism.  Over the last year I have identified this problem as in fact, being a problem.  This was not just apparent during the holiday season but all year long.  The way I justified it was searching for the best deals possible.  I'm not talking about your every day 25% off.  I'm talking 70-80% off.  I was the king at find those deals.  I committed hours of my week to seeking out the cheapest ways of paying for things I wanted.  This is how I relinquished myself from guilt.  "If I can spend three dollars on a movie instead of ten, I am being responsible" is what I thought.  In fact, I thought if I passed the deal up I was being irresponsible.  That is the lie that was in my head at all hours of the day.  Only recently have I seen the truth behind the lie.


Below is a video from the Oprah Show Favorite Things Special that she does every year:


Oprah's favorite things 2010


When I watched that I think to myself,"these people are freaking nuts."  The praise and worship they give to Oprah and these things is ridiculous.  I am not sure if I have ever been so outwardly excited about anything.  And that is where the problem lies.  Not only was I internally worshiping the deals I would find, I would not bring this much praise to my Lord Savior Jesus Christ.


What a punch in the face, and rightfully.  This year, God is doing amazing things in my life and with my family.  Sure we are going through one of the hardest financial times ever in our lives, but we are focused on the life changing lessons and blessings He is showing us.  Deuteronomy 4:23 sums it up:


"Be careful not to forget the covenant of the LORD your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the LORD your God has forbidden."


All worship and praise will be directed to my God.  Not to Black Friday, not to discount websites, and not to the lies of consumerism.  I would challenge you to take a look into what drives the motivation behind this Christmas.  Is it to bring God praise or yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Every day has seemed like Black Friday to me lately. It is hard to even venture out into any store besides for groceries without swimming through everybody's snide comments, aggressive auras, and neurotic impulses. Wow I know I'm being hard on society. Expecting the world to be something it isn't...but I'm smart enough to know there's plenty of God-fearing Christians in that mix during these times too.

    I appreciate what you wrote. It is a reminder that an idol doesn't have to be a little jeweled statue or a golden calf. It's the NOTW stickers on the SUV. It's the 25th Anniversary Red Wii that mommy and daddy buy Johnny so they can keep him busy and not engage in his upbringing. It's the iPad. It's human accomplishments and humans themselves.

    We will worship. We were made to worship. We need to worship God and not things. I hear you loud and clear Peter and am doing some hard-looking into myself right now. Thank you for slapping me conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all things have to be considered when looking at how people act during this time of year. It saddens me to see that most people show very little, if any, reverence towards Jesus during a Christmas, it's more like Christ-missed! Even those of us who know the "reason for the season" get caught up in the hype. I feel a since of guilt about getting gifts knowing that what I received could have gone to help another with much, much less.

    ReplyDelete