Friday, May 27, 2011

A Nation of Quitters

"We are defined by what we do, not by what we don't do." 

This has been a motto I have tried to live by for the past year.  Too many times people focus on what they have not accomplished so far in life (marriage, kids, career, house), instead of what good they have done with this gift called life. 

Recently, my life has not reflected this motto in one aspect of my life.  This has been a big challenge as of late that has frustrated me.  What is it you may ask?......writers block.  Between being busier at work (which is a good thing), coaching tee-ball, leading a men's group, raising three boys, contemplating buying a house...I have let life get the best of my writing.

The thoughts that have gone through my head have been of defeat.  I can't help but think of how many times I have started something and not followed through.  Think of it, we are a nation of quitters.  Society gives us more grace to quit than inspiration to push forward. 

How numb are we to hearing that a friend or family member is getting a divorce.  When do we ever confront a friend that is jumping from job to job.  Or somebody we know that is breaking people's hearts because they need to "figure out who they are."  It's really not even looked down on anymore, but expected.  We take something that means so much to us, something that develops our talent and we sabotage it.

This is how I have felt with writing.  No matter all the excuses I can muster, I know the real reason....I struggle with being a quitter.

Two years ago I went to a conference where Michael Phelps was speaking.  He talked about his training and what it took to become one of the best Olympians of all time.  What he boiled his success down to was showing up and practicing hard on the days he wanted to quit.  He fought against his nature, telling him to take a day off or a week off.  Or letting something else be a distraction and eventually giving in all together.  The tough mental days were the ones he fought against the hardest....and won.

I need to think of my writing as such.  Fighting against excuses and distraction on the days I have nothing to say.  It's not that I have nothing to say, it's that I need to fight against being a statistic.  I need to push through, tighten my belt and at all costs and avoid becoming a quitter.

What is something in your life you have given up on?  What was once your passion, but now seems so distant?  Did you used to love you wife or husband better?  Were your kids all you would live for but now they seem like a burden?  What or who are your quitting on and allowing yourself to be a statistic?  I would challenge you as I am challenging myself, to surround yourself with people that believe in you and will help you succeed in your passions.  We all need support in things that are extremely important to us.  Share with somebody about your passions and goals and find accountability in those people.  Let's not become a nation of quitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment