Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Interview with a World Champion: Part I

Over the past few months I've had the opportunity to get to know someone who has had his share of struggles.  A man who has fought tooth and nail for the things he has wanted.  A man who has showcased to the world his passion, drive and desires.  The man I am talking about is the current and defending WBC and WBO light welterweight boxing champion of the world, and ranked as the #7 pound for pound fighter in the world, Timothy Bradley Jr.


What I wanted to know was how does that translate into his personal life.  Does the championship mindset come into play outside of the ring.  Below is part 1 of our interview:


Me:  Tim, I've shared with you that I believe there is an identity crisis with men today, where a lot men do not know how to be men for many different reasons.  Some, there dad has left of their father was a deadbeat.  Or maybe their dads where just silent, not active in their lives.  There is a problem, so I thought I would be a great opportunity to hear from you, a world champion, on how having the mentality of a world class boxer translates for your kids and your wife.

What important lessons have you learned about what it takes to be a man?

Tim: First of all it depends on what being a man is defined by. I define a man as a man that first of all knows who he is, knows God, knows and follows His teachings and leads His family to God as well. That’s what makes a man. I mean taking care of your family, working hard that is important but I think the ultimate goal is to definitely believe in Jesus Christ, and bring them to Jesus Christ.



Not selling yourself out, being in the position I am in with boxing, it takes a person to have a certain type of image to make a whole lot of money in this game. I am not willing to sell myself out, I’m not for sell. I’m not for sale at all. This is who I am, I know who I am, I know who I am in God’s eyes, that is where I get my strength from.
As far as being an athlete, I just feel that that’s my duty, my duty is to my family and my sport, you know, and my faith.


Me:  Boxing seems very much like an individual style sport, but knowing boxing, you have a very important team behind you.  How important is it to have a team around you just dealing with everyday life?


Tim:  Well, it’s very important to have positive people around you, people that lift you up and care for you. Giving you the ability to make better choices and also if you are doing wrong they are going to let you know. There are a lot of boxers out there, I’m not going to name names, but there are lot of people out there that have these “yes sir, no sir” guys, and there are a lot of people out there that like to feel like they are in control all the time.



Well with me, I am in control of my life as much as I possibly can but I have a lot of people that surround me that also have influences in my life in some of the decisions that I make. You know my wife, the first person that I look out to and my mentor. But, if it helps you in everyday life I mean as far as in the ring, everybody has a certain aspect to Team Bradley. My father may bring…he bring me defense, he bring me my defensive game. My other trainer, Joel Diaz, he will bring me confidence and the ability to be in great shape and also bring the game plan. And I have another guy on my team that reassures me that I have worked hard, that I have done enough, more than enough to get the victory. And my wife, she is always there for stability and definitely reassuring me as well. And my family they are always there as well. My mother is always there at my training sight. So it really helps me out to have positive people around me so I don’t make a lot of mistakes out there in the world as well.


Me:   Many boxers are very presently focused.  They only look at the next fight ahead of them and train accordingly.  Do you think in life you are more presently focused or future focused?


Tim: It's a combination of both, you know, it's kind of like you have to have short term goals as opposed to long term goals with boxing.  Right now, I am not actually fighting.  I don't have a fight lined up, but I'm continually training, I continue my training, and when I don't want to be boxing then that's when I will just focus on preparation and really be prepared for that particular fighter.

Ultimate goal, I have an ultimate goal in mind and I’m working every day to get there, to get to that goal. So I would say I think both ways, I think short term and I always think long term as well. Because I have goals set in place that I need to reach. You got to do something in order to get to those goals, you can’t just get up and train just for those fights, you’re not going to get anywhere. I tell kids that all the time, “What are you doing to get to where you want to go?” You gotta start now, you gotta do it now. Me boxing amateur and getting experience was what got me prepared for the professionals. I put in 10 years of amateur boxing to become a great professional.






No comments:

Post a Comment