Monday, December 12, 2011

Life Changing Music

Life can be extremely hard.  At times it feels that the challenges of life are experienced alone.  It seems as if no one cares and no one could understand the position you have been in. 

There have been a few highlighted times like this in my life, when all seems lost, when I've been at the end of my rope.  What hope has there been for me, where is the direction I've been needing?  Many times my support has been in the form of a song. 

I remember my senior year of highschool, feeling as if I had no support at home.  Feeling I was walking a spiritual journey on my own.  My saving grace was a CD, All Together Separate.  My room became my sanctuary.  Questions were answered, hope was found, a relationship with a living God was growing.  The music gave me confidence that I was on this earth for a reason, and I had a Father to rely on. 

A few years prior, I was introduced to worship in a way I had never seen.  In the cafeteria of a elementary school in Tigard Oregon, I came face to face with worship that came alive.  On one of my bi-annual trips to visit my dad in Oregon, one Sunday we attended Vineyard church.  This was my first experience with Delirious? worship.  Music that drove to the heart and asked tough questions.  Not music that was frilly or a facade for lukewarm Christians.  This worship kicked you in the face.  All that I knew about church worship dissipated with every note, every lyric.  My hunger to feel the spirit of God was magnified by this music. 

It came to a head during a high school summer retreat, where I found myself for the first time on my knees raising my hands to God with the help of these songs.  Tears of joy streaming down my face, realizing that worship would never be the same.

And lastly, the band that gave me the ability to question the status quo in life...MxPx.  It seemed up until that point I would take people's word as truth.  As if they were the ones that had unlimited amounts of wisdom.  MxPx showed me to think and question for myself what truth was.  So starting in middle school, I took the risk of questioning my elders.  Many times that ended with my demise.  But it caused me to think independently and not rely heavily on others opinions or ideas.  I formed my own thoughts and became aware that I was the one in charge of the direction of my life.  No longer was I a slave to feel the same ways as others.  I was allowed to find truth for myself, and to seek out real wisdom from Godly people.

Music has been my saving grace in life.  Allowing God to fill the gaps of loneliness, hurt, grief, and confusion.  Whenever I feel lost or separated from God, I know that I can find him in song.  What a great gift to be given.

No comments:

Post a Comment