Friday, April 8, 2011

Community Worship

One of the great opportunities I have in life is leading a small group for Sandals Church.  The fact that Sandals is in Riverside and all of the group members live in Beaumont, creates a tight sense of community.  Five years ago when Stephanie and I moved to Beaumont, the thing we were disappointed in most was that we were moving away from our church family.  Thank God today not only are we church members together but have grown to be best friends.

Ten months ago I stepped up and became the small group leader.  It has been my goal to be vulnerable, open, encouraging, and supportive of each other.  Occasionally we will switch the routine schedule and do something different.  Last week I decided to have a worship night.  With some inspiration from our marriage group leaders, I asked each member to pick the song that has been the most moving, inspirational, reflective song in their life.  I compiled the list and made a CD with all their songs to play.




Mostly what I was expecting to see were mostly radio worship songs, but I was gladly surprised to see such a diverse mix and see how music is translated in someones life.  We had music from Emery to Johnny Cash, to Casting Crowns and everywhere in between.  Before each song we described what the song meant for them, when they first heard it and what it means for them today. 

It was amazing to see how this music has reached their souls and have helped them along this journey we call life.  The experience was powerful.  I myself, have not wept that much in a long time.  It was great to peek into the deepest parts of my friend's souls.  What a privilege and honor to share life with these great people.  If you are in a small group I would greatly encourage you to participate in a night like this.  At the close of that night I handed out copies of all the songs so that through the weeks and months we can remember those defining times in each others lives.

This is what life is about, not being stressed about our needs, but remembering and caring for others.  What a great reward to be given.


P.s. What is your most inspirational, deep, etc. song in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment