Friday, April 1, 2011

What's the Point?

In a Washington Post poll, the study found that 92 percent of Americans believe in God or a universal spirit.  Out of those polled, more than half said that they prayed at least once a day.  The study further goes on saying that most Americans believe that angels and demons are active and nearly 80 percent think miracles occur.


Our founding fathers had formed this country under Godly principles.  John Adams said, "Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only Law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited... What a paradise would this region be!"


Benjamin Franklin made this statement at the Constitutional Convention on June 28, 1787, "We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that 'except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it.' I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel."




Growing up, all I heard was that our country, the United States of America, is a Christian nation.  The emphasis our founding fathers put on God of the Bible was a major distinguisher between our country and every other country.  Over the past 10-15 years many people and organizations are trying to destroy that fact.  In spite of their efforts, the Washington Post poll confirms that a belief in God widely exist with most Americans.  But are we a Christian nation?


Over the past couple days I have thought of friends who I know would say they believe in God.  However, their lives do not reflect the teaching of the Bible.  They do not strive to live a life wholly committed to God.  If they believed in God (the Christian God), they should follow the instruction manual for being a Christian. 


Revelation 3:16 says "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."  How do people say they believe in God, but their lives reflect otherwise?  Now I am fully aware that this is a problem in the church.  People attend church on a regular basis but when they get home they live a life fully committed to themselves.  Outside of church, their worship is focused directly on them.


So my questions is "What's the Point?"  Why waste your time filling a seat, sometimes giving your money and putting on a fake smile.  Why even say you believe in God?  Where is the reward in that?  What is the benefit?


As Easter approaches I cannot help but think of the countless number of people who will be attending church for the first time this year.  You know those people, you see them at Easter and Christmas.  Is that really a time where you can recharge your spiritualism for the year?  Is that all it takes?  What is the condition of their heart?  When I think about them or about friends who say they are Christian but don't attend a church, all I can think about is that they are missing out on so much.


They are missing out on the opportunity for direction, guidance, love, community, and strength.  I never want to be lumped in with the people that "believe in God."  I want to be defined by it.  I want people's first thought of me to be reflective of my Jesus.  When you have that relationship with God, so many things make sense.  When I look my boys in the eyes and see their smile, I see God.  When I go hiking and look out over the beautiful scenery, I see Jesus.  When I'm hanging out with my best friends talking about life, I feel Jesus.  I make it a priority in my life to reflect what I believe.  I know I have my faults, and I know I am not even close to perfect, but I know through Christ blood I am made whole on a daily basis.


So what's the point on this blog?  The point is that I am sick of people claiming they are Christians when they are not.  How I long for them to know God on a deeper level, to be in community with fellow Christians.  To experience the love that is shared and learning how God loves us.  It's time for people to get off the fence and make a choice.  You are not being brave by being "open to all religions."  You are not being strong by being indecisive.  Stick with your convictions and decide one way or the other.  I would encourage you to start getting serious about what you say.  Don't waste another day speaking with empty words.

No comments:

Post a Comment